Su Su is a popular vegetable in our country, especially in the North, often appearing in daily meals. With the advantage of both tops and fruits, it is easy to prepare nutritious dishes that many families love. Instead of choosing to buy ready-made at the market, many housewives can still plant a rubber tree in their home garden for year-round harvest. Techniques for planting rubber trees just give many tops but the results are so chit chit? Follow the article below right now.
Prepare the land, choose the planting season of chayote
Su Su is a cold-loving crop, unisexual flowers, pollinated by insects, so it needs to be planted at the right time to ensure high yield and quality. Usually, people should plant chayote around September of the lunar calendar to harvest in December to March of the lunar calendar.
It is possible to grow chayote all year round, but if planted too early or too late, temperature and humidity conditions will be unfavorable, reducing the yield of this plant.
Some conditions suitable for the growth and development of chayote are known:
- The appropriate temperature is from 20-25 degrees Celsius, do not plant in places where the temperature is below 12 degrees Celsius or higher than 28 degrees Celsius.
- Su Su is sensitive to frost, drought and high winds
- Is a light-loving plant
- The humidity of the air is maintained at 70-85%.
- Can’t live in saline soil
In order for the rubber tree to grow well and give high yield, people need to cultivate the land before planting. The cultivation steps take place as follows:
- Clean weeds, dry with lime for 10-12 days to handle pathogens
- Plow the land thoroughly
- Make planting beds 25-30cm high, 2.5-3m wide, dig a planting pond 40-50cm deep, 80-100cm wide, pit 2.5-3m away.
- If planted in the home garden, no need to raise beds, the size of the hole is the same as growing a business garden model
- Pour humus or decaying manure with superphosphate, potassium sulfate into the holes to fertilize within 10-15 days.
Choose varieties, proceed to sow
Currently on the market there are 2 varieties of chayote: slippery chayote and chayote, the name is based on the outer surface of the fruit we often see. For this type of tree, you can grow it in two ways: germinating the old fruit or growing it with seedlings purchased at the seedling garden.
The specific procedure is as follows:
Planted with old chayote fruit as seed
- Ask for the old chayote fruit at the orchard that I feel most satisfied with in terms of both yield and quality
- Incubate the fruit in a pot of fertile soil, wait until the seed inside the fruit germinates outside, then bring it to the soil.
- Seeds can be used directly into the holes dug, filled with soil to wait for the plants to germinate, each hole for about 3-4 fruits.
Planting with seedlings
- Buy standard seedlings of chayote at nurseries, choose good green plants with 3-5 true leaves, no pests
- Put the seedling pots into the dug holes, each hole 3-4 plants
- If planting with seedlings, do not dig holes too deep
Techniques for taking care of rubber trees
Su Su is a moisture-loving plant, so it requires very high humidity, people should maintain the amount of water for irrigation every week, especially in the dry season. When the tree begins to flower, the amount of water should be increased to increase the rate of fruit set. In contrast, in the rainy season, attention should be paid to drainage.
In addition, gardeners also need to regularly monitor to timely detect pests and diseases, apply the right treatment methods to avoid affecting yield and fruit quality. At the same time, it is necessary to pay attention to cleaning weeds as well as cultivating the soil.
Making truss for rubber
When the rubber tree begins to grow evenly, with about 8-10 true leaves, it will begin to make a truss for the climbing plant. Rubber trusses can be made from wood, bamboo, iron or concrete piles depending on the conditions and needs of the gardener.
Climbing shoes for rubber trees need to ensure the following factors:
- Height from 2 to 2.5m
- Fix the truss with stakes and wire firmly according to the shape of the roof, arrange the vines evenly
In addition to priming, people should refer to the top dressings for chayote trees with NPK fertilizers with different nutrient rates during the development stages as follows:
- Phase 1: before the rubber tree climbs the truss
- Phase 2: when the plant starts to flower
- Phases 3, 4, 5, each period is 3-4 weeks apart
With proper care, after only about 2-3 months, chayote trees have begun to harvest with great yield. For fruit, people should harvest 5-7 days / time, the tops of chayote are harvested 10-14 days / time.
Through this article, there will certainly be many women who want to immediately add a fruit-laden rubber tree in their garden, saving money on going to the market. Wish you success soon!