Gourd is a vegetable for both tops and fruits, easy to process into delicious and nutritious dishes every day. On the other hand, the technique of planting and taking care of gourds is quite simple, and the fruit can be harvested all year round. Along with this simple taste and method of growing, many gardeners choose to do business from the model of growing gourds. So technique of growing gourds What to pay attention to to ensure outstanding productivity per crop without too much investment?
Prepare the soil, choose the time to plant pots
Gourd is a climbing plant, the easiest to grow and develop, the leaves and roots grow and spread. Each crop, depending on the variety the farmer chooses, will collect different types of gourds, the most common type being the long cylindrical gourd often found in the market.
Besides, the gourd prefers to live in places with strong light intensity, the temperature is about 20 – 30 degrees Celsius.
As for potting soil, gourds grow best in fertile, nutrient-rich soil with a pH of 6-7 such as alluvial soil or humus-rich soil. Therefore, if the soil for planting does not have enough conditions for nutrients, people need to actively cultivate the soil before planting the pot by following these steps:
- Clean weeds, plow well to make the soil loose
- Sprinkle lime powder for dry soils or acidic soils
- Use organic fertilizer, which is usually rotting manure combined with fused superphosphate to fertilize the soil
- The time to fertilize the soil usually lasts at least 12-15 days
To ensure the highest yield, people usually plant gourds in the period from November to January of the solar calendar. However, gardeners can still plant all year round. Note that the potting place should have a good drainage system to avoid waterlogging.
Choose varieties, proceed to sow
Depending on the soil conditions and business purposes, you should choose the most suitable gourd variety for planting.
Similar to other vegetables, gourds can be grown from seed or from seedlings. As follows:
Growing gourds with seeds
- Choose to buy seeds from reputable suppliers to ensure f1 seed quality, good vitality, quality and high yield.
- Seed treatment: soak the seeds in warm water about 40-45 degrees Celsius for 3-6 hours, take them out to dry and then put them in a towel to incubate at a temperature of 25-30 degrees Celsius.
- Monitor when the seeds crack, plant in a prepared nursery pot or sow directly on previously cultivated land.
Planting gourds with seedlings
- Buy gourd standard ones, with 2 to 3 true leaves, stout, healthy stems, lush green leaves, no pests
- Proceed to dig holes on cultivated land, plant 2-3 seedlings in each hole, cultivate soil around the base of the pot and water just enough right after planting.
Planting density of gourds
- Each potting hole has a diameter of 50cm, a depth of 30cm, the hole is at least 1m away from the hole
- Gourds are planted for 1 to 1.5 months, then proceed to make a truss for climbing pots, the average height of the pots is about 2-3m, made from trees or wooden poles attached with zinc or steel wire.
The technique of growing gourds helps to increase yield and quality
Gourd is a water-loving plant, so people need to pay attention to regularly watering the plant, the adult stage should be watered at least twice a day in the early morning and late afternoon.
When the tree begins to flower and bear fruit, it is necessary to increase the amount of water to improve the yield and quality of the fruit.
In the rainy season, it is advisable to arrange a drainage system to avoid waterlogging for the trees. Cultivation of the soil and pruning of the tops also need to be done periodically to prevent pests and stimulate better growth.
In addition to priming, people should refer to the fertilizing sessions for potting plants during the following stages of development:
- After planting the gourd for 2 months, fertilize with NPK fertilizer with a high nitrogen rate, once a week for the plants.
- When fruit sets, fertilize the pot with NPK fertilizer with a higher percentage of potassium to improve fruit quality at harvest.
After a period of more than 2 months, gourds will be harvested if farmers apply the right planting and care techniques. The gourd should not be too big and the newly picked price will lose its nutritional value and make it difficult to consume.
In short, technique of growing gourds not too complicated but still bring high economic value to gardeners thanks to high productivity and quality. Wish you success with useful knowledge from us!