Achievements in gene technology have contributed to the development of the agricultural industry such as helping plants have good resistance to pests and diseases and help improve productivity.
Genetic engineering in agriculture is considered as a major turning point to improve the quality and yield of crops. However, when it comes to genetic engineering achievements, most of us are still quite vague. In today’s article we will share with you the highlights of genetic engineering achievements in agriculture. If this is also a topic that interests you, do not rush to skip our article.
What is genetic engineering?
Gene technology is simply understood as a collection of technological applications using living organisms and their derivatives for research and application.
Gene technology to modify DNA to enhance the qualities found in plants and animals through selection and reproduction.
Gene technology has applications such as cloning, DNA sequencing, gene transfer of the same or different species, gene inactivation, epigenetics…
Achievements in genetic engineering in agriculture
- Gene technology helps to change the characteristics of plants, making them more resistant to external dangers and threats such as insects, herbicides, cold, salinity, viruses, etc.
- Contributing to increase the desired yield for each planting season, ensuring uniform quality of agricultural products.
- Improve the nutritional value of plants, making the taste, appearance, and color more perfect.
- Genetic engineering also helps to improve the suitability of plants, selecting plant wastes to use as biofuels for the next generation.
- Brings positive changes during the harvest period.
- Stimulate microorganisms to produce the desired compounds to help plants grow better.
- Research more about the source of nutrients in food to ensure that the user’s body is provided with the best quality.
Are agricultural products applying genetic technology safe?
One of the problems raised when it comes to genetic engineering in agriculture is: Is the food, after undergoing genetic transformation, still allergenic?
During the research process, the toxins and allergens in the food are usually removed. Therefore, the gene-engineered plant variety will contain very few allergens, which will also be quickly broken down in the stomach. Therefore, genetically modified foods always have the best quality and nutritional content.
The problem of antibiotic inhibition
Some argue that the application of genetic technology to modify plant varieties can make plants resistant to antibiotics. However, in this regard, you do not need to worry. Because the researchers have asked the works applying gene technology to avoid the use of antibiotic-resistant genes in transgenic crops.
Here is the information related to genetic engineering achievements that we want to share with you. Hopefully with this amount of information, you will better understand the benefits that genetic technology brings to plants and animals in the field of agriculture.