Lotus is a plant that brings a lot of benefits to users. Lotus not only appears as an ornamental flower, but it can also be used for seeds, medicine, cooking, etc. From the tubers, stems, roots, … are extremely precious. Although living only with mud, it is not easy to grow a lush and productive lotus field. Accordingly, lotus cultivation technique should be carried out properly from the selection of varieties to harvesting.
Brief about the lotus tree
Lotus is a herbaceous, aquatic plant. Lotus often lives for a long time with its roots buried in the mud at the bottom of ponds and lakes. The lotus stem when mature will have many small thorns that grow chitly. Particularly leaves and lotus flowers grow on the water surface, lotus flowers will usually be higher than the leaves.
In Vietnam, there are many different types of lotus, but the most grown are white lotus and pink lotus.
High yielding lotus cultivation technique
To grow lotus to be productive, farmers need to follow the right techniques from selecting varieties to harvesting:
How to choose lotus varieties?
Criteria for choosing lotus varieties need to be suitable such as:
– Lotus seed must have enough 2 large leaves (diameter of large leaves) and strong.
– The lotus body is not broken, sturdy enough.
– Lotus leaves are intact, not crushed.
How to propagate lotus
For lotus plants, the asexual propagation method is considered the most effective. This breeding method is both easy to do and gives results too quickly, so it is chosen by many people.
In the previous crop, lotus roots will be kept or selected old from places specializing in providing seeds. The bulbs selected for seed usually have two or more internodes because the larger the lotus root, the stronger the seedlings will be. Just cut across the end and bury it in the soil about 5cm.
Lotus growing environment
Soil, planting hole and water quality in the lotus pond are extremely important. Accordingly:
– The best soil for growing lotus is clay soil mixed with clay, with good smoothness so as not to scratch the lotus root. With lotus, the soil needs to contain a lot of organic matter, rich in humus is the most suitable. Make sure the soil pH is between 6 and 6.5.
– The hole (pond) for planting lotus needs to be designed so that it is easy to pump and hold water. For places with high terrain, the support needs to be deepened, whereas in the overlapping areas, the lotus planting hole needs to be covered with an additional embankment to retain water.
Make sure the bottom of the lake is flat and the bottom is a thin layer of clay to hold water. This clay layer should not be too much because it will make harvesting more difficult. For areas with a lot of alum, the planting hole needs to be covered with a layer of lime.
Besides the amount of nutrients in the soil, the quality of water in the pond also directly affects the growth of lotus plants. Accordingly, the water needs to have good clarity, the temperature is neither too cold nor too hot.
For mature lotus plants, water with a depth of about 20cm is most suitable and for newly planted lotus, this depth is only 5cm. The appropriate depth for each growth stage will help the lotus plant avoid tuber rot.
Technique of growing lotus
It is advisable to start planting lotus when the weather is warm and warm. It is best to sow seeds in rows at least 2cm apart and at least 1m from the lake shore.
When planting lotus, it is advisable to add a specialized breeding tank to have enough consecutive varieties for 2 crops.
Lotus care techniques
– Fertilization: Like many other crops, to grow well, lotus needs to have more nutrients from fertilizers. Accordingly, lotus fertilizer should be applied according to the following formula:
+ Apply 400kg of phosphate fertilizer in the stage of soil preparation (priming).
+ Top dressing from 15 days, 30 days, 45 days, 50 days after planting, 50kg DAP each time.
+ Last fertilizer after planting lotus about two and a half months with 50kg DAP and 50kg NPK.
Pay attention to change the water every time you fertilize and keep the water at the best level. Thus, the new lotus plant can absorb the maximum nutrients from the fertilizer.
– Pest control: Before flowering, lotus is very susceptible to attack by red spiders and thrips. At this time, the chemical drug Trebon is considered the best weapon. The drug needs to be sprayed under the leaf and cotton surface at a concentration of 20cc for an 8-liter bottle.
In case the lotus is damaged by leafworms, you need the help of Sherpa.Decis at the rate of 10cc for 8 liters of water.
Attention: Spraying is not allowed when preparing to harvest lotus.
– Harvesting lotus: The lotus mirror to harvest age will have a pink roll, the top of each seed will be black. At this stage, you can harvest lotus every 2 days.
To have a good lotus field, farmers need to spend a lot of effort planting and caring. With proper lotus planting and care techniques, the right way will help plants grow quickly and healthy.