We all know that sugarcane is one of the important industrial crops, bringing high economic value to Vietnamese farmers. In our country, sugarcane is grown in many regions from the North, Central, Central Highlands and the South thanks to its strong vitality, not picky about soil, and good drought tolerance. However, the yield and quality of sugarcane can only reach the highest level if people know how to apply the right planting and care methods and techniques. That’s why the following article, we want to talk more about it with you sugarcane farming techniques most reasonable.
Choose land, make land to grow sugar cane
Sugarcane is an industrial plant with good vitality, not picky about soil. Evidence shows that many people successfully grow sugarcane on both clay, sandy, acidic and salty soils or low-fertile dry hilly soils.
However, the yield and quality of sugarcane is still the highest when planted on soil with a deep, porous layer of cultivation, the appropriate pH is from 5.6 – 7.5, the soil is not too acidic, and has good ventilation. In particular, sugarcane does not tolerate waterlogging, so the soil needs to have a slope and good drainage in the rainy season.
The steps to make land for sugarcane cultivation are as follows:
- Clean weeds, plow the soil to a depth of 25-30cm, harrow and harrow about 2-3 times to make the soil loose.
- Dry the soil for 30-45 days to kill pathogenic microorganisms present in the soil
Choosing varieties, planting sugarcane
Similar to other jackfruit varieties, super early Thai jackfruit is also suitable for growth and development in loose, fleshy soils, high water requirements and not tolerant of waterlogging.
Particularly for bad soil, it is recommended to remove alum with powdered lime, dry for many days and then fertilize and improve the soil with decayed manure. The process of cultivating land for super-early jackfruit takes place as follows:
- Dig a hole for planting seedlings with a diameter and depth of 50 x 50cm, each hole is 5m apart, rows are 6m. With the super-early jackfruit model, each hectare can grow about 300 trees
- Each planting hole uses 0.5kg of lime powder mixed with 1-3kg of organic fertilizer, usually rotting manure mixed with compost for 10-12 days or more.
Choose varieties, proceed to plant trees
Currently on the market there are many varieties of sugarcane with very high yield and quality. However, people should choose sugarcane varieties depending on the natural conditions of their locality, the demand for raw materials at the factory to ensure the best supply.
Selection of cuttings of sugarcane varieties should meet the following conditions:
- Sugarcane age from 6 to 8 months old ensures good vitality
- Cane cuttings have 2-3 sprout eyes
- Not infected with pests
- Get seeds in fields with good growth and development, no other pathogens or viruses
- Treat sugarcane cuttings by soaking in lime water for a few days or spraying with water 1 day before planting before planting on cultivated land.
The process of growing sugarcane should pay attention to:
- Season: Depending on the region, for example, the Central Highlands is October – November of the solar calendar, the Southeast is October – December of the solar calendar, etc.
- The density of sugarcane planting: row spacing is from 0.8 – 1.2m, for double rows, spacing is from 1.2 – 1.6m, each hectare can grow about 35,000 – 40,000 cuttings of sugarcane seed
- How to plant: place cuttings in grooves, compact so that cuttings come into contact with the soil, water and pay attention to moisture after planting to achieve the highest planting efficiency.
Sugarcane cultivation techniques for high yield and quality
In the dry season, it is necessary to water regularly 1-2 times per month for sugarcane, especially in the period of cane cuttings sprouting, branching and growing internodes.
Rainy season Attention should be paid to drainage for sugarcane to avoid waterlogging and stagnant water in the field.
Fertilization, pest control
Like other industrial crops, sugarcane also needs to be fertilized and fertilized several times a year to improve yield and quality.
You can refer to the following fertilizer application:
- Lining with organic fertilizer is usually decomposed manure with the content of 10 – 20 tons per hectare and adding a pH regulator to the soil.
- Top dressing with NPK fertilizer at the end of the tillering and postharvest stages
- Before fertilizing, weeds must be cleared
- Soil should be plowed twice each sugarcane harvest by machine or manual method to increase porosity
- Monitor the development stages of sugarcane to promptly detect pests and destroy them thoroughly
Ripe sugarcane often has leaves that close, turn to light yellow, can be harvested, processed and brought to the factory.
General, sugarcane farming techniques It’s not too complicated, but it requires understanding to develop and maintain this business model well. Good luck with the techniques we share!