In our country, strawberries are grown the most in Da Lat and Lam Dong with high prices but are still very popular because of their delicious taste and nutritional value. But that does not mean that only places with cold climates can grow strawberries. With simple planting and care techniques, you can still grow strawberries at home. Specifically, it is planted in small pots to get fruit to eat all year round, the taste is not inferior to buying outside. The following article will help you do that, let’s pocket it right away Strawberry growing techniques at home that we share.
Choose pots, make soil for strawberries
Not as simple as other vegetables when growing in pots, growing strawberries is very important in the selection of pots.
Normally, if you choose a round pot, you should choose a pot with a diameter of at least 20cm. Besides, you can choose rectangular pots like water troughs or large foam containers. Around and the bottom of the pot or barrel need to be punched many holes to increase ventilation and drainage, prevent waterlogging for plants if the amount of water is too much.
A small note for you is that if you grow strawberries in a place with hot weather, you should choose light-colored pots that will absorb heat less than dark pots.
The steps to make the soil for growing strawberries in pots need to be carried out as follows:
- Prepare fertile soil mixed with coir, grasshoppers and rotting manure, mix well in the appropriate ratio, incubate the soil for about 1 week to 10 days. The purpose of this step is to help the soil have more nutrients to support better plant growth
- After incubating the soil, let it dry for a few days to remove pathogens and microorganisms remaining in the soil
- Put the soil in the pot so that the surface of the pot is still about 5-7cm
- If you do not have the skills and conditions to do the soil yourself, you can go to the bonsai store or nursery to buy ready-made soil.
Strawberry growing season is also quite necessary if you want home-grown strawberries to still ensure yield and quality. Usually, the best time to plant strawberries in pots still falls around April – May every year.
Choose strawberry varieties, proceed to plant in pots
Although strawberries are a plant that can be grown with both seeds or seedlings, to ensure the growth and quality of strawberries, you should still choose seedlings.
Currently on the market there are many types of strawberries that are outstanding in both yield and taste, the fruit is not only beautiful red, but also very sweet and easy to eat. The most popular are still June-Bearing, Everbearing and Day Neutral strawberries. At strawberry seed stores or nurseries, you will be advised on each variety to choose the right one.
After you have enough soil and strawberry varieties that you like, you proceed to plant seedlings in pots according to the following steps:
- Dig holes in the soil that has been put in the pot before, round pots should only plant 1 to 2 plants close together, trough pots can grow seedlings at a distance of 20cm from plants, planted in a straight line.
- Fill with medium compacted soil so that the plant can stand firmly, water immediately after planting
- Should use straw to cover the root surface to help the plant retain moisture
- In the case of sowing strawberry seeds, the seeds should be treated before sowing in pots according to the following procedure: soak the seeds in warm water with the ratio of 2 boiling: 3 cold for about 6 hours, pick up the seeds and put them in a damp towel to incubate, wait until the seeds crack. flax, then let it dry in a cool place for about 30 minutes, then plant it
Caring and harvesting strawberries grown in pots
Strawberries are moisture-loving plants, so they need special watering. Every day you should water strawberries at least 2 times in the early morning and evening, the amount of water is just enough, much can cause waterlogging and root rot.
Note to place the strawberry pot in a place with lots of sunlight and ventilation such as a balcony or garden. However, the lighting time for strawberry plants should not exceed 12 hours per day.
At the same time, it is necessary to regularly dig the soil for strawberries once a week to improve the porosity and ventilation of the soil.
If growing strawberries in pots at home for the purpose of providing strawberries for the family to eat, you should buy fertilizer at bonsai stores to fertilize strawberries. Usually strawberries are very fond of chicken manure, but the amount of fertilizer needs to be just enough, too much can cause heat and plant death.
Adult mulberry trees should prune leaves, clean around the base to prevent pests. Especially when there is fruit, it is necessary to pay attention to avoid insects and insects that sting the fruit, causing damage and loss of quality.
Strawberries grown in pots give fruit soon after about 2-3 months of planting, but the first batch of fruits will often not be delicious and sweet. Therefore, if you want to have quality fruit, you should give up flowers for the first time within 6 months.
Are you ready to plant pots of ripe red strawberries and ensure safety at home?