AgriSearch: Everything You Need to Know About Growing Dạ Yến Thảo at Home
1/ Dạ Yến Thảo Characteristics
Dạ Yến Thảo, also known as Verbena, is native to South America but has become popular worldwide, including in Vietnam. It is a perennial herbaceous plant that grows vigorously with multiple branches. When grown in the ground, the plant can be easily trampled, so it is more suitable to be grown in hanging pots to allow the branches to cascade downward.
Dạ Yến Thảo comes in up to 150 different colors, and it has a mild fragrance. Its flowers can live up to one year, and one of its main attractions is that it blooms throughout all four seasons.
– Classifications of Dạ Yến Thảo based on stem type:
+ Cascading Dạ Yến Thảo
+ Upright Dạ Yến Thảo
+ Wave-like Dạ Yến Thảo
– Classifications of Dạ Yến Thảo based on flower type:
+ Single Dạ Yến Thảo
+ Double Dạ Yến Thảo
2/ Growing Techniques
2.1 Preparation of Tools
– Planting pot: Hanging pots, plastic pots, coconut husk pots, etc. The pot should be sturdy, large enough, and have drainage holes.
– Seeds: You can buy high-quality seeds with proper packaging, high germination rate, or propagate from healthy, thick branches.
– Planting soil: The soil should be loose, well-draining, moist, and nutrient-rich. You can mix the planting soil with the following formula: 30% loam soil, 20% compost, 25% rice husk, 25% coconut peat.
Alternatively, for convenience, you can use SFARM’s specialized clean soil for flower cultivation. It is formulated with suitable ingredients for the characteristics of Dạ Yến Thảo.
Note: Do not reuse soil from previous planting or utilize soil from deceased Dạ Yến Thảo plants. Use clean, unprocessed rice husk and treated coconut peat.
2.2 Planting Techniques
Dạ Yến Thảo can be grown year-round, but late April to early May is the ideal planting season as the environmental conditions are favorable for plant growth. It is best to plant in the afternoon when the weather is cooler.
Propagation from Seeds
– Fill the planting pot with soil.
– Sow the Dạ Yến Thảo seeds directly into the pot, with two seeds per pot.
– Cover the seeds with a layer of soil and mist the soil to keep it moist.
– After 4-7 days, the Dạ Yến Thảo seeds will germinate.
Propagation from Branches
– Cut a healthy and long Dạ Yến Thảo branch, ensuring it is free from any diseases. Trim the branch just below a node and keep around 3-4 leaves on the branch. Remove any flowers to allow the plant to focus its energy on root growth.
– To keep the branch fresh, immerse it in water while preparing for propagation.
– Create a small, deep hole in the prepared planting pot. Insert the Dạ Yến Thảo branch into the hole, burying it 2/3 of its length and at a 45-degree angle.
– Firmly pack the soil around the base of the branch and water it thoroughly.
– Place the planting pot in a well-ventilated area with shade to avoid direct sunlight.
– After 2-3 weeks, new buds will appear, and the plant will start to grow. At this stage, transfer the plant to an area with more light for photosynthesis.
3/ Care for Dạ Yến Thảo
+ Water regularly and moderately, preferably twice a day in the early morning or cool afternoon.
+ During hot and dry weather in summer, monitor the moisture level in the soil to ensure proper hydration for the plants.
+ If it rains heavily, bring the potted flowers inside to prevent waterlogging and potential damage.
For comprehensive plant development, you can fertilize with a mixture of organic and chemical fertilizers. Use compost, bat guano, fermented organic waste, banana solution, or other nutrient-rich organic fertilizers. Dilute the fertilizer with water and apply every 5-7 days.
During the budding and flowering stage, increase the potassium content in the fertilizer to promote abundant, vibrant, and long-lasting blooms.
+ When the plant reaches a diameter of approximately 15cm, trim some stems and shoots to stimulate growth, more shoots, more flowers, and reduce the risk of fungal diseases.
+ After the flowers fade, remove the entire flower stalk to encourage new shoots and more blooms.
+ Regularly remove withered flowers, yellowing leaves, and dry branches to prevent moisture-related issues.
– Pest and Disease Control:
+ Common pests:
- Damping-off: This typically occurs when the soil is compacted, poorly aerated, overwatered, or exposed to irregular weather.
- White mold disease: If this occurs, promptly remove affected leaves.
- Red spider mites: These pests create red or white spots on the undersides of leaves.
- Aphids: Aphids cause curling, spotted, and deformed leaves.
- Stem rot and wilting: Cut off all affected branches and dispose of them properly. Isolate infected plants from healthy ones.
- Create a well-ventilated environment for plant growth.
- Regularly remove wilting flowers, dry leaves, and withered parts.
- Avoid excessive watering and wetting of leaves.
+ Pest and disease control:
Handpick pests or use traps. If diseases occur, apply biological control agents instead of chemical products.
Isn’t Dạ Yến Thảo a beautiful and captivating flower? It is not only visually appealing but also easy to grow and care for. We hope that the above knowledge provided by AgriSearch can help you successfully cultivate vibrant Dạ Yến Thảo flowers at home.
Hoa dạ yến thảo
Table of Contents
Thank you for taking the time to read this article! If you enjoyed it and would like to stay updated with our latest content, we invite you to follow our blog via email subscription or through our social media channels on Facebook, YouTube, and more. Stay connected for more interesting articles, insightful content, and valuable updates. Thank you for your support!
Frequently Asked Questions
1/ What are the characteristics of dạ yến thảo?
Dạ yến thảo is a perennial plant with colorful flowers and a gentle fragrance. It has multiple branches and is commonly grown in hanging pots.
2/ How do you plant dạ yến thảo?
2.1 Preparation of tools
For planting dạ yến thảo, you will need a sturdy pot, high-quality seeds, and nutrient-rich soil.
2.2 Planting technique
Dạ yến thảo can be planted throughout the year, but the ideal time is in late April or early May. The seeds can be sown directly into the pot or you can propagate from cuttings.
3/ How do you take care of dạ yến thảo?
Proper care for dạ yến thảo includes regular watering, fertilizing, pruning, and protecting it from pests and diseases.
4/ What are some common pests and diseases of dạ yến thảo?
Some common pests and diseases that affect dạ yến thảo include root rot, white mold, red spider mites, leaf curling caterpillars, and stem blight. It is important to create a conducive environment for the plant’s growth and regularly remove any diseased leaves or flowers.
5/ Is dạ yến thảo easy to grow?
Yes, dạ yến thảo is relatively easy to grow and care for. It is a beautiful and charming flower that can add a touch of elegance to any living space.