Pig farming techniques Sows are very popular because pig farming is a traditional occupation that brings economic benefits to many rural households. In addition to large-scale farms, pig production is also small, and the quality of the breed is not high. Most of the farmers only raise local breeds. On the other hand, pig farmers also face many difficulties in disease, food and medicine.
That’s why many farmers are not profitable even many generations of heavy losses. Towards a comprehensive development of livestock with high productivity and quality, which can compete in the market. The following are all techniques for raising sows effectively and increasing productivity so that pig farmers can master the knowledge and experience of raising pigs. Techniques for raising sows include the following steps: house preparation, breeding, care and disease prevention.
Techniques for raising sows
– Direction: Southeast or South to help avoid the afternoon sun, cold wind from the North. In addition, it helps farmers take advantage of the early morning sunlight, which contains infrared rays to disinfect the barn and help pigs absorb vitamin D for strong bones.
– Roof of the barn: 3-3.5m high roof so that it is warm in winter, cool in summer
Note: Do not build a barn to raise pigs together with other livestock and poultry to avoid the spread of infectious diseases.
– For the barn for farrowing sows and sows, it is advisable to build a barn divided into 3 cells. The square in the middle is the one for the mother pig and two on the sides with one big box and one small one for the piglets. In the mother pig cell, the farmer should arrange the drinking nipple 80-85cm from the floor and the feeding trough with a width of 0.3-0.5m. Raising piglets will be arranged on two sides including 2 cells, small plots with a width of 0.4m and a height of 0.5m, drinking nipples for pigs 12-15 cm from the floor; Large box arranged round feeder for pigs, size 0.7-0.8m
Breeding in sow breeding techniques
This is the most important step in the pig raising process.
– Should buy breeders licensed by competent authorities, choose breeds of clear origin with certificates of animal quarantine.
+ Big butt, shoulders, big tail and 1 to 2 lines
+ Smooth, agile skin, bright eyes
+ Pigs with 12 or more udders, the distance between 2 rows of udders is equal
+ Even vulva, not flattened on one side
+ Weaned pigs weighing 15 kg or more
+ Newly purchased pigs should be raised in an isolation area, monitoring the process of adaptation and disease vaccination. Should apply method together in and out to avoid the spread of disease.
Nurturing care in sow farming techniques
3 technical stages of sow rearing for breeding pigs
Stage 1: gilts
- 20-50kg should be fed freely
- 50 or more feed 75% of free-range pigs
- 90kg before mating increase the amount of food 5-3.5 kg
- After mating, reduce feed weight to 2kg/head/day
- Pigs 5 months old and 7.8 months old should be vaccinated against some diseases such as: Cholera, Foot-and-mouth disease, Parvovirus FMD, Aujexky
- Lottery profits before breeding
Stage 2: taking care of pregnant sows
- For sows, after 21 days of mating, if the pig does not return to breeding, it is considered to be pregnant. Pregnancy period 3 months 3 weeks.
- From the day of mating to the 85th day of the pregnancy month, it is recommended to feed 2kh / feed / animal.
- From 85-107 days after mating, increase the amount of feed to 2.5kg
One week before farrowing, reduce feed intake to 1.5-2kg to avoid sows being too fat at birth leading to reduced milk production or diarrhea.
During pregnancy, the pig should be exercised a lot to easily give birth. 2 weeks before giving birth for the first time, 1 week before giving birth for the second time, taking a shower and moving to the farrowing barn.
Stage 3: taking care of sows
- The first day after giving birth, sows should be fed with a dose of 0.5-1kg of feed/head/day
- Day 2 and on increase the amount of food
- After 1 week you can feed freely
During the rearing period, the quality of feed should be stabilized to avoid diarrhea in piglets.
Feed the sow into many round meals a day at most early in the morning and late in the evening. 1 day before weaning should reduce the amount of food to 1/2 portion, on the day of weaning do not feed but provide adequate drinking water.
For suckling pigs should be injected with glucose, calsium, oxytocin. About 25 days after birth, cholera vaccination should be given to both piglets and sows. Carefully brush the piglets’ teeth to avoid scratching the mother pig’s udder. Piglets after birth wipe the oil and weigh, choose 0.9kg or more for farming.
Newly born piglets should be brooded at 32 degrees Celsius and reduced by 1 degree Celsius every week. You can use straw, cloth for pigs to lie down as if you remember to change them every day.
3-day-old boars supplement iron by injection or orally 3mg of iron/head. 5-7 castrate boars and learn to eat. 3 weeks old weaning for boars
Disease prevention in sow farming techniques
Cleaning the barn
– Periodically clean and disinfect the barn:
- Clean the barn daily, make sure it’s dry, clean and well ventilated
- Disinfect the barn with a spray cycle: 1-2 times/week (depending on epidemiology and weather). Spraying time: mist, spray at the warmest and driest time of the day (2-3 pm).
- Internal and external control of parasites
Prevention with vaccines
In the technique of raising sows, attention should be paid to monitoring the health situation to ensure quality. Strictly implement the vaccination program for pigs.
The technique of raising sows is not simple, but with patience and passion, success will be achieved. Hopefully, the above technical information on sow raising will help people have more knowledge to develop a model of raising sows. Happy successful people!
see them: High-tech pig raising