Soil is the source of nutrients for plants. Soil acidity is one of the factors affecting crop quality. The lack or excess makes the plant grow slowly, the roots are stunted, the plant achieves low yield. From there, farmers choose the types Fertilizers increase the acidity of the soil to improve this situation.
The role of fertilizers in increasing the acidity of the soil
Soil acidity is a very important factor affecting soil chemistry. Specifically, Ion Aluminum (Al) is the main toxic factor for plants. It has the ability to dissolve pH and cause low soil pH.
Soil acidity is a decisive environmental factor that limits plant growth. Besides, the acidity or alkalinity of the soil also greatly affects the state of soil nutrients.
In addition, it also affects the ability to supply nutrients of the soil and the development of plant roots and affects the effectiveness of fertilizer application. This is the main reason, people need to pay attention to adjust the pH of the soil. soil before sowing.
Origin of soil acidity
There are many causes of soil acidity. Mainly for a few reasons:
- Due to soil structure: Soils with light texture, sloping soil, sandy soil, gravel are often easily washed away and become acidic.
- Due to the process of weathering creates the process of exchange and leaching of alkaline cations.
- Due to the reaction of CO2 in the air with the soil solution
- (CO2 + H2O CO32- + 2 H+)
- Plants grow for a long time on the soil, absorb nutrients from the soil such as N, P, K and trace substances such as Calcium, Magnesium … Over time, the soil loses its alkaline substances and becomes acidic.
- The breakdown of organic matter in the soil.
- Abuse of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, stimulants, etc., after a long time, leads to acidic, callous and barren soil.
- Apply too much N fertilizer, some types of acid-based mineral fertilizers such as ammonium sulfate (SA), potassium chloride (KCl), potassium sulfate (K2SO4), and superphosphate on the surface. This causes a very low pH zone on the ground because NH4+ is oxidized to NO3- by microorganisms that lower the pH, or dissolve Ca, Mg, and leaching substances.
- In addition, acid rain is also a factor that increases soil acidity.
How does soil acidity affect it?
Soil acidity seriously affects soil chemistry. Specifically, Aluminum (Al) ion is the main toxic factor for plants. In addition, it also dissolves pH and causes low soil pH.
Soil acidity is an environmental factor. They have the ability to limit the growth of plants, affecting the efficiency of fertilizer application. In addition, acidity or alkalinity also greatly affects the nutrients in the soil. This is the reason why people need to adjust the pH of the soil before planting. Currently, there are many types Fertilizers increase the acidity of the soil used to limit the effect on the crop.
Fertilizers increase the acidity of the soil
To use Fertilizers increase the acidity of the soilyou should choose the right products to ensure the best growth and development for plants:
Phosphate fertilizer not only provides nutrients for plants, but also effectively reduces alum toxicity. Therefore, you can use superphosphate to fertilize plants or combine foliar fertilizers containing phosphorus to improve soil acidity.
Rotten organic fertilizer
In addition to the effect of improving the soil, helping the soil to be porous, .. the decomposed organic fertilizer is the best way to increase the acidity in the soil. It combines with toxic substances to poison alum, reduce toxicity to plants.
Lime is also added to the soil by farmers to improve acidity and increase pH.
If lime is applied to acidic soil, there will be some benefits as follows:
- Make the nutrients in the soil easy to dissolve
- Helps improve soil structure
- Provide nutrients such as Ca, Mg for plants
- Promotes the growth of beneficial microorganisms
- Neutralizes acidity caused by fertilizers
- Reduces toxicity from strongly soluble heavy metals at low pH to limit effects on plants
These are the types Fertilizers increase the acidity of the soil most used in the market. They have a very important role in ensuring the productivity and quality of the crop, so farmers need to pay special attention. Wishing you all a very good harvest.